|The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is a twin-engine, variable sweep wings capable of supersonic flight.
The aircraft is crewed by a Pilot and a Radar Intercept Officer who share the tasks of navigation,
target acquisition, ECM and weapons usage. The Tomcat was operated by the United States
Navy and the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force only. The name “Tomcat” is said to come from the
call-sign used by Vice Admiral Thomas Connolly which conformed to the USN tradition of giving
Grumman aircraft feline names.
Grumman F-14D Block 170, 164342 C/N 617/D-22 was delivered to the USN in August 1991.
From September 1, 2005 until March 10, 2006 it served with VF-31 onboard the USS Theodore
Roosevelt for what would be the F-14’s final cruise. During this time period 164342 was the CAG
aircraft and made its 1,000th arrested landing. When VF-31 returned to NAS Oceana they traded
their F-14s for F-18s. On September 28, 2006 F-14D 614342 was Struck Off Charge (SOC) and
one week latter delivered to the Wings Over Miami Museum.
Specifications for the Grumman Aerospace F-14 Tomcat
Role - Carrier-based multi-role strike fighter
First Flight – F-14A 1970, F-14B (F-14A+) 1986, F-14D 1990
Last Production Year – F-14D July 20, 1992
Number All Variants Produced – 710
Crew - 2 (pilot and radar intercept officer).
Type F-14A F-14B (F-14A+) F-14D
Length 62 ft 8 inches 62 ft 8 inches 62 ft 8 inches
Wingspan (Swept) 38 ft 2.5 inches 38 ft 2.5 inches 38 ft 2.5 inches
Wingspan (Unswept) 64 ft 1.5 inches 64 ft 1.5 inches 64 ft 1.5 inches
Height 16 ft 16 ft 16ft
F-14A 2 x P&W TF-30-P414A F-14B 2 x GE F-110-GE-400 F-14D 2 x GE F-110-GE-400
F-14A 34,154 lbs F-14B 56,400 lbs F-14D 56,400 lbs
F-14A 1,544 mph (Mach 2.38) F-14B 1,544 mph (Mach 2.38) F-14D 1,544 mph (Mach 2.38)
F-14A 50,000+ ft F-14B 53,000+ ft F-14D 53,000+ ft
F-14A 1,730 nm F-14B 2,050 nm F-14D 2,050 nm
F-14A 40,104 pounds F-14B 41,780 pounds F-14D 43,735 pounds
F-14A 72,000 pounds F-14B 74,349 pounds F-14D 74,349 pounds
1 x MK-61A1 Vulcan 20mm cannon
Maximum Weight – 13,000 lbs. Of Combined Ordnance
6 AIM-7 Sparrows
4 AIM-9 Sidewinder
6 AIM-54 Phoenix
MK-82 (500 lbs.)
4 MK-83 (1,000 lbs.)
4 MK-84 (2,000 lbs.)
MK-20 cluster bombs
4 GBU-10 LGB
GBU-12 MK-82 LGB
4 GBU-16 MK-83 LGB
4 GBU-24 MK-84 LGB
|Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
Grumman F-14D Tomcat
164342, VF-31 "Tomcatters", USS Theodore
Roosevelt, US Navy, 2006
True 1/72 scale.
Great attention to detail.
All markings are Tampoed (pad applied).
Option to display the model on a stand that is provided.
Model can be shown with the landing gear in the down or up positions.
Optional armament provided.
Canopy can be displayed open or closed.
Pilot figure included.
Extremely heavy metal with a minimum of plastic.
This new site is being updated regularly and it will be much improved before too long. Please be patient, give it time, and check back regularly.
Opportunities for community collaboration are in the works for a little further down the road.
- This is not a retail site. You cannot buy models here.
- Thanks to Dauntless Aviation for providing web hosting and other support for this site. Real or sim pilot? Check out their stuff!
- This is not an official site of any manufacturer or retailer. Information provided here may be incomplete or in error. Use at your own risk.
- This is not an "advice" site. Please do not contact us asking about these models. Please contact a manufacturer or retailer with your questions or comments.
- Please update your links!
- Update HomePage links from the HMC website to either www.MetalWings.com or, preferably, www.dauntless-soft.com/MetalWings.
- Update your page links to this page from HMCwebsite/HA5232.html to http://www.dauntless-soft.com/MetalWings/HA5232.asp
- This site will be modified over time. We are well aware of its many issues, including missing images and bad formatting.
© 2022 Dauntless Aviation • 4950C York Road 110, Buckingham, PA, 18912, USA •
Contact Us •