|The first USMC Harrier II was the AV-8B, a daytime strike fighter. In 1984 development of the AV-
8B(NA) “Night Attack” Harriet II began with the addition of a NAVFLIR (Navigation Forward-
Looking Infrared) camera in the nose along with night vision goggles. New MFDs (Multi Function
Displays) were added as well as an improved HUD, color CRT display and complete heads-down
capability. This version of the Harrier also received additional counter-measure dispensers and
Rolls-Royce Pegasus 11-61 (F402-RR-408) vectored-thrust turbofan engine.
On November 18, 1988 AV-8B 163662 was delivered to the VMA-542 “Tigers” as B-137 and in
1990 transferred to VMA-231 “Ace of Spades”. In 1991 the unit deployed to Saudi Arabia. AV-8B
163662 belonged to the VMA-231 CO Lt Col ‘Rusty’ Jones. By the end of ODS the aircraft had
flown 54 combat sorties and returned to MCAS Cherry Point in March 1991. There each aircraft
received mission markings and two lines in Arabic “Free Kuwait” on the port side. In 2002 163662
parts were used to create AV-8B Harrier II+ 165586.
Specifications for the AV-8B+ (Harrier II Plus)
Developed by - Boeing, BAE Systems, and Rolls Royce
Operators – USMC, Italian Navy, Spanish Navy
Crew – (1) pilot
Powerplant – (1) Rolls-Royce Pegasus 11-61 (F402-RR-408) (Mk 105) vectored-thrust
23,500 lbf (105 kN)
Maximum speed @ sea level - .89 Mach (662 mph) (1,070 km/h)
Range – 1,200 nm (1,400 mi) (2,200 km)
Combat radius - 300 nmi (556 km)
Ferry range - 1,800 nmi (3,300 km)
Rate of climb - 14,700 ft/min (4,485 m/min)
Length - 46 ft 4 in (14.12 m)
Wingspan - 30 ft 4 in (9.25 m)
Height - 11 ft 8 in (3.55 m)
Wing area - 243.4 ft² (22.61 m²)
Empty - 13,968 lb (6,340 kg)
Loaded - 22,950 lb (10,410 kg)
Max takeoff –
Rolling / 31,000 lb (14,100 kg)
Vertical / 20,755 lb (9,415 kg)
Guns – (1) X GAU-12U "Equalizer" 25 mm (0.98 in) cannon with 300 rounds of
Hardpoints – (7) capable of carrying up to 13,200 lb (STOVL) of ordnance such as iron
bombs, cluster bombs, napalm canisters, laser-guided bombs, AGM-65 Maverick or
AGM-84 Harpoon missiles, Sea Eagle missiles, a LITENING targeting pod, up to (4) AIM-
9 Sidewinder or similar-sized infrared-guided missiles, up to (4) AIM-120 AMRAAM
missiles, as well as new “Smart Weapons” such as JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition).
Raytheon APG-65 pulse Doppler radar
|Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
AV-8B Harrier II
163662, VMA-231, King Abdul Aziz Base
Superb detailing in 1/72 scale.
Pre-painted with pad applied markings.
Weapons that are not permanently attached.
Comes with crew figure.
Display stand included.
Option to display model with wheels up or down.
Minimum use of plastic.
This new site is being updated regularly and it will be much improved before too long. Please be patient, give it time, and check back regularly.
Opportunities for community collaboration are in the works for a little further down the road.
- This is not a retail site. You cannot buy models here.
- Thanks to Dauntless Aviation for providing web hosting and other support for this site. Real or sim pilot? Check out their stuff!
- This is not an official site of any manufacturer or retailer. Information provided here may be incomplete or in error. Use at your own risk.
- This is not an "advice" site. Please do not contact us asking about these models. Please contact a manufacturer or retailer with your questions or comments.
- Please update your links!
- Update HomePage links from the HMC website to either www.MetalWings.com or, preferably, www.dauntless-soft.com/MetalWings.
- Update your page links to this page from HMCwebsite/HA2624.html to http://www.dauntless-soft.com/MetalWings/HA2624.asp
- This site will be modified over time. We are well aware of its many issues, including missing images and bad formatting.
© 2023 Dauntless Aviation • 4950C York Road 110, Buckingham, PA, 18912, USA •
Contact Us •