|The AV-8B II + is the second generation of Harriers. Using its VSTOL (Vertical and Short Take
Off Landing) abilities the Harrier is capable of using almost any surface to attack and destroy air
or ground targets. Armed with conventional or specific weapons the AV-8B II + can be used in or
night. The AV-8B II + can be air refueled allowing it to
be deployed for extended periods.
Formed as VMF(N)-542 “Tigers” on March 6, 1944 the unit under went several re-designations
before becoming the VMA-542 on January 12, 1972 when it was reactivated and equipped with
the AV-8A Harrier. In 1974 VMA-542 moved to MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina and now also
equipped with the AV-8C Harrier. 1986 with the transition to the AV-8B Harrier II Plus VMA-542
saw the end of the AV-8A/C. VMA-542 spent most of 2016 onboard USS Wasp when on
September 22, 2016 AV-8B+ Harrier II 165354 crashed on departure with the pilot safely ejecting.
Specifications for the AV-8B+ (Harrier II Plus)
Developed by - Boeing, BAE Systems, and Rolls Royce
Operators – USMC, Italian Navy, Spanish Navy
Crew – (1) pilot
Powerplant – (1) Rolls-Royce Pegasus 11-61 (F402-RR-408) (Mk 105) vectored-thrust
23,500 lbf (105 kN)
Maximum speed @ sea level - .89 Mach (662 mph) (1,070 km/h)
Range – 1,200 nm (1,400 mi) (2,200 km)
Combat radius - 300 nmi (556 km)
Ferry range - 1,800 nmi (3,300 km)
Rate of climb - 14,700 ft/min (4,485 m/min)
Length - 46 ft 4 in (14.12 m)
Wingspan - 30 ft 4 in (9.25 m)
Height - 11 ft 8 in (3.55 m)
Wing area - 243.4 ft² (22.61 m²)
Empty - 13,968 lb (6,340 kg)
Loaded - 22,950 lb (10,410 kg)
Max takeoff –
Rolling / 31,000 lb (14,100 kg)
Vertical / 20,755 lb (9,415 kg)
Guns – (1) X GAU-12U "Equalizer" 25 mm (0.98 in) cannon with 300 rounds of
Hardpoints – (7) capable of carrying up to 13,200 lb (STOVL) of ordnance such as iron
bombs, cluster bombs, napalm canisters, laser-guided bombs, AGM-65 Maverick or
AGM-84 Harpoon missiles, Sea Eagle missiles, a LITENING targeting pod, up to (4) AIM-
9 Sidewinder or similar-sized infrared-guided missiles, up to (4) AIM-120 AMRAAM
missiles, as well as new “Smart Weapons” such as JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition).
Raytheon APG-65 pulse Doppler radar
|Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
AV-8B+ Harrier II
BuNo 165354, VMA-542, USMC, 2016
Superb detailing in 1/72 scale.
Pre-painted with pad applied markings.
Weapons that are not permanently attached.
Comes with crew figure.
Display stand included.
Option to display model with wheels up or down.
Minimum use of plastic.
This new site is being updated regularly and it will be much improved before too long. Please be patient, give it time, and check back regularly.
Opportunities for community collaboration are in the works for a little further down the road.
- This is not a retail site. You cannot buy models here.
- Thanks to Dauntless Aviation for providing web hosting and other support for this site. Real or sim pilot? Check out their stuff!
- This is not an official site of any manufacturer or retailer. Information provided here may be incomplete or in error. Use at your own risk.
- This is not an "advice" site. Please do not contact us asking about these models. Please contact a manufacturer or retailer with your questions or comments.
- Please update your links!
- Update HomePage links from the HMC website to either www.MetalWings.com or, preferably, www.dauntless-soft.com/MetalWings.
- Update your page links to this page from HMCwebsite/HA2621.html to http://www.dauntless-soft.com/MetalWings/HA2621.asp
- This site will be modified over time. We are well aware of its many issues, including missing images and bad formatting.
© 2023 Dauntless Aviation • 4950C York Road 110, Buckingham, PA, 18912, USA •
Contact Us •